Sunday, May 3, 2009

Reckless Endeavor

Me n' Deb spent the morning hangin' out on the back porch drinking coffee & yacking about all kinds of STUFF - like adding more rose bushes & flowers, the good old days at our beach house in Delaware, baseball & all of the kids that I coached, & the new tattoo that I've decided to get (gonna be awesome - I'll post pics when it's done). Eventually, the topic of Reckless Endeavor came up, so... I started where good stories start.... at the beginning... & rambled for an hour.

Deb liked the story, laughing a lot & saying 'no way' at all the right spots. She especially liked a new character that has a major role, though the name of said character may change. I still have a few more chapters to go (then re-writes & edits) but I thought I'd blog about it via pictures & drop a few hints along the way...

Jack Rackham is 16. If he hadn't taken that shortcut near Treasury Street, he never would have ended up in jail..... of course, the homeless girl never woulda been rescued either ....




Natuarally there are supernatural elements in this story, just like in Bad Latitude, & they're not limited to the prison surroundings either ....



.... Much of the story takes place here in St Augustine, like here at The Old Jail... a real place in The Ancient Haunted City .....



.... Pop's new boat.... Reckless Endeavor... is an 82 foot schooner with a few high tech surprises... a few million bucks very well spent... treasure hunters always need reliable transportation.... & it's big enough for Bad Latitude to hitch a ride...



Reckless doesn't lack any of the Rackham-preferred luxuries...it's not quite on par with the gated Rackham Estate, but it'll do....



..... and it has all the latest gadgets...



.... you need high tech gizmos to cross through the Bermuda Triangle.....



.... and being the descendants of this guy... Calico Jack Rackham.... there had to be a reunion....



.... 'cause Pop always flies the Rackham flag...



...... just like Old Calico Jack flew in the old days....including last summer in the middle of the night when chasing Jack through the Matanzas Bay...



Jack & Kai are on another mission... they'll have to keep their heads & their bearings.....



.... so they can get here.... & hopefully .... make it home.... in one piece.

7 comments:

Careann said...

I don't know how you come up with all the fantastic photos, but as a teaser this post is bound to generate lots of curiosity and impatience for the release of RE. And how 'bout that tattoo...? No hints about what it's going to be? My eldest daughter just got her first tattoo. Me, I'm too chicken.

Keith Pyeatt, author of paranormal thrillers said...

The book sounds great. Love the visual aids. WooHoo!

Mark LaFlamme said...

Damn, man. A tattoo shows real commitment to marketing. Assuming it pertains to the new book. Either way, a fine idea.
Looking forward to RE. In spite of the Jack envy.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Awesome!
JaxPop, I just finished Bad Latitude last night and really enjoyed it!
I'm putting it on my son's to read list for the summer--I know he'll love it too!
Great job!
I'll look forward to this next one!
Becky

David Ebright said...

Careann - A picture of the tattoo will be posted soon. Don't be a chicken - it's only needles n' ink.

kap - Reckless has been fun. Looks like it might be too long (for kids) so I may have to do some major cutting.

Mark - IF the tat was to be book related, think I could write it off as a marketing expense??? At my age, I should also get credit for depreciation.

Becky - I'm glad you liked BL. Hope your son doesn't put me on his "people I don't like" list 'cause you're gonna make him read it. Of course you could bribe him with the promise of a visit down here to watch a Shuttle Launch. BTW - The last launch (at twilight) was spectacular.

ReNu said...

Nice, that is one boat for which I'll forget sea-sickness. Hope the health exam wasn't too bad and that you get a clean chit soon.

Ronnie said...

The tatoo. The Rackham flag! Right?
Looking forward to the next adventure!